I found this cobbler recipe on the Internet from Suellen Anderson @ dessert.food.com. The original recipe wanted peaches but I had a batch of ripe, sweet strawberries and some Port for my trip to Portugal I wanted to use, so I swapped fruits and I cut back on sugar very much. It’s truly GREAT served warm, with some (unsweetened) vanilla gelato and might you want it, some more Port in a glass as a pairing :)
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 0.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup of organic milk
- 1 lb of organic strawberries, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup of Ruby Port
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Melt butter in a 8 x 10 inch pan.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder & salt and stir in milk & egg.
- Pour evenly over melted butter.
- Combine strawberries, port, sugar & spices and spread over batter – do NOT stir.
- Bake 35-45 minutes at 350°F until batter comes to the top and is golden brown.
- Serve warm with gelato and a glass of port.