This is the absolute best and easiest one-bowl cake recipe ever. It’s quick, moist, light and perfect with your morning coffee or afternoon merenda. We use this recipe to also make our Easter Colomba with paper moulds we buy in Italy (11×8 inch in size for a 900gr – 1kg cake).
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 55 minutes
- Total: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Servings: 1 kg cake; 8-9 big slices, up to 13-14 small slices.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 150 gr. sugar (I use a mix of Just Panela and regular less refined sugar)
- 300 gr ricotta cheese (if the ricotta is very thick and dense: swap for a mix of 200 gr of ricotta and 100 gr of milk; I like almond milk by Three Trees or MALK)
- 300 gr flour, sifted (AP or Tipo 00 flour)
- 1 packet of “Pane degli Angeli” yeast (16 gr)
- 150 gr of dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 155° Celsius (~315 Fahrenheit)
- Grease and flour a 11-inch springform pan (use one with the hole in the middle – or even a paper baking mould of any shape as I did).
- In large bowl, beat the yolks with sugar, whisk in the ricotta cheese; add in the sifted flour, the yeast and the chocolate drops. Set aside.
- Whisk the whites until super stiff – so stiff that if you insert a teaspoon in the mixture it has to stay up right and not fall to the side.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and dust with powdered sugar… and enjoy it with a chocolate-coffee liqueur!
Originally posted July 23, 2016