Try this veggie creamy delight to turn a boring soup into something everyone would love, even your kids! I’ve never been a soup lover but this really rocks! It combines a starchy base of potatoes to any veggie you like, be it carrots, spinach, potato greens, swiss chard, beets, peas, pumpkin, acorn squash etc. You’ll want a little acidity there, so a pinch of pepper, chopped herbs, a red pepper coulis or a red wine reduction, depending on the basis you picked, can give that kick you need.
Ingredients (2 people)
2 oz of potatoes
2 oz of spinach
1/2 cup of milk
3 tbsp of Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano
1/2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
4 or 5 slices of bread
1) Wash, peel and chop the potatoes. Wash and drain the spinach.
2) Fill a pot 2/3 of the way with salted water and potatoes over medium heat. When it’s boiling, add the spinach and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, scald 1/2 cup of milk. Put 4 or 5 slices of bread on the grill and make crostini, that you can serve on the side.
4) When the potatoes are fork tender, get a slotted spoon or an asian strainer to drain the veggies and pour them in a tall container. Using an immersion blender, puree the veggies and add 2 cups of cooking water and the hot milk.
5) Add salt to taste, freshly grated Parmigiano, a pinch of Cayenne red pepper and 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.
6) Plate up the soup and serve with some crostini on top (and more on the side!)